THE CULTURE OF ISLAM
To accept Islam (and thus submit to Allah), is to embrace a seventh century Arabic culture that strictly adheres to the sayings of the prophet Mohammed (Hadith), which consist,among other things, of the following “rules for living”:
* Language — According to Muslims, Arabic is the only language of heaven (though ironically, the Koran contains certain foreign words that are Hebrew, Greek and Persian).
* Dress — The traditional Arab dress (Ihran) must be worn at certain festivities and rituals, especially when one embarks on the final stages of his pilgrimage (hajj) to Mecca — a journey that should happen at least once in a Muslim’s lifetime.
* Food and preparation (Halal) — As with Judaism, pork is forbidden. Only certain foods can be eaten, and they must be prepared in the prescribed way.
* Marriage — The Koran states that the husband can beat his rebellious wife to keep her in subjection: “Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them” (Sura, 4:34). Most Islamic women are not permitted to travel freely or even possess a passport in Islamic states (Jordan is the only nation that is more lenient).
* Financial practices — Giving alms is commanded (Zakat). Also, a Muslim is not permitted to charge interest on loans to any other Muslim, but usury is permissible if the loan is made to an “infidel dog.”
* Worship — Islamic worship consists of praying five times a day on a rug as one kneels toward Mecca, fasting in the month of Ramadan (or the “hot month”) and designating Friday as the day of worship.
* Doctrine — One must obey the Koran and its teachings concerning any matter of doctrine. It is the final word in any matter, even if evidence to the contrary can prove a different course of action. The Koran supersedes everything, even the Bible.
* Figural representations are absolutely forbidden.
* The new convert’s name is to be changed to an Islamic equivalent.
THE BOTTOM LINE
The bottom line regarding the religion of Islam is that it embodies “another gospel” (Gal. 1:6,7), and thus, our Lord declares it “accursed” (v. 8). Bible believers must be prepared to present the true Gospel of salvation to Muslims and desire their deliverance from this evil darkness.
A Christian’s weapons can only consist of the “truth once delivered unto the saints” — he must know the Scriptures and be prepared to use the Bible when confronted with arguments that sound right but contradict the absolute standard of the Word of God, the Bible.
The message that believers must give to Muslims is that they, like all men, are sinners who are alienated from an all-holy God. Every man, regardless of race or ethnicity, is naturally at enmity with God. Psalm 14:2-4 says, “The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD” (see also Eph. 2:1-3).
There is nothing man can do to merit God’s favor (Isa. 64:6; Rom. 3:12, 19 -20). Titus 3:5 says, “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.” While man was a lost sinner and unable to effect his own salvation, God did all that was required to reconcile mankind to Himself.